Thursday, January 1, 2015

Whole Wheat Bread

I have found the key to making whole wheat bread is to keep the dough sticky feeling and knead the dough with wet hands.  Knead the dough for a long time to get the gluten working.  By hand, kneading 30 to 45 minutes is typical for a beginner.  20 to 30 minutes if you are an experienced kneader, and 8 to 15 minutes if using a Kitchen Aid type mixer with a dough hook.

Add Dough Enhancer if you can find it.  Gluten is not the same as dough enhancer.  Many stores say that it is, but gluten is just gluten.  Dough enhancer is gluten, soy, ascorbic acid.  Probably more, but those are the things I remember.

There are several things you can add to help make wheat bread rise.  Try 1/4 teaspoon of ginger or crush a vitamin C pill into powder and add it.  My friend adds 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and I am amazed at how quickly that makes it rise, but since this is about using what you have stored I don't think cottage cheese will be available.

My whole wheat bread recipe is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment