Thursday, January 1, 2015

Cracked Wheat Cereal

Since I am trying to get you to use your food storage, I decided I better try using mine in more ways.  Today was the first time I have made my own cracked wheat cereal and it was really good.  I checked online to see how others had made theirs and the first one I looked at stated that the cereal tasted like flour the first time they made it, so they decided to toast the wheat the next time.  No other sites I looked at talked about toasting the wheat first.  That flour taste comment was enough to scare me away, so I decided if I was going to make it than toasting the wheat first was for me.

Here is what I did:
I put a few handfuls of wheat into a cold cast iron pan and turned it on high.  I cooked the wheat for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally.

The wheat looked dark enough, so I took a picture.

Then it started popping and I turned it off and took another picture.

Here is the can of wheat compared to the pan of toasted wheat.

The wheat grinder had to be put together, so the wheat ended up sitting in the pan for about 5 more minutes.

Here is the hand grinder my husband used.  An electric grinder will grind the wheat to fine.  It is a Victorio brand grain mill.  The knob that holds the handle on is the one that knob that adjusts the coarseness of the grind.  The handle is loose and wobbly trying to get a very coarse grind.  The final product was 1 cup of cracked wheat.

Here is a close-up so that you can see how far out the grinding part is.

Here it is cooked.  Hers and his.  We added a little sweetener and ate it.  We both loved it.  I like to add milk to my hot cereal, but this had enough liquid in it that the milk would have made it liquid.

Go here for cooking instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment