Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Making Vegetables Last Longer

I have been meaning to do this for years and keep forgetting.  Sometime during the summer I remembered this way of preserving fresh vegetables again.  I got on line and ordered the jar attachment to my Food Saver.

If you have a Food Saver vacuum sealer you will need the jar sealer attachment.  I will not work without the jar sealer attachment.

I had bell peppers, green beans, and two tomatoes that were going bad.  I am determined to keep the food waste down this year.  I cut the bad parts off of the peppers and tomatoes and trimmed of the ends of the beans and tossed the bad ones.  I put them in the jars and used lids that I have saved from jars of previously canned food.  I couldn't get the jars to seal with big indents in the rubber ring, but the ones that were slightly indented worked good.
This picture is 6 days after putting them in the jars.

NOTE:  THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTION FOR CANNING!!!!!!!! THIS JUST HELPS FOOD LAST A LITTLE LONGER.

No comments:

Post a Comment