Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Canning Sausage Patties

A few years ago I canned ground sausage.  I saw a post on a food storage group where someone canned sausage patties, so I decided to do that too.
I bought the sausage on sale in November.  That was the same month it was on sale when I canned sausage last time.  That must be "sausage sale month".
You can see the ground sausage at the bottom of the page by clicking HERE.

Here are my sausage patties.

I bought Jimmy Dean sausage.  I cut it into patties.  There were 10 patties from most of the packages. One had 9 and one had 11 patties. I flattened them to barely fit into a wide mouth jar. I just browned them and oops, overcooked a few.

Then I drained them on paper towels.

I then filled the jars to about 1 inch (or a little less) below the rim. Saved a few out for Hubby and saved the grease.  There are seven sausage patties in most of the jars. This picture is before pressure canning.

Here they are after they are after pressure canning.  I kept the sausage flavors separated.  I didn't show pictures of the plain sausage, but it made the orange grease.  The white grease is the maple and sage mixed together.  That ought to be an interesting taste when I use it.
There is a lot of grease in the jars and the sausage shrank a lot after the pressure canning. Hubby always wants gravy so this will have the grease in the jars to make gravy with.  If it isn't enough I can add some from the two little jars.  They are stored in the freezer.

I can with the Tattler reusable lids.  I not sure if the marker will wash off of the lids, so I put an "M" for maple, and "S" for sage and put nothing on the plain.




No comments:

Post a Comment