Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Baking Bread in a Crock Pot

I have baked white bread in a crock pot twice.  It has fallen both times.  My whole wheat bread didn't fall, but I have no picture of that, so I will make that again and take pictures to post.

Here is the white bread process from 6-26-14.

I mixed the dough in my Kitchen Aid mixer.

Bread needs to be baked in an oval crock pot.  Put canning rings or jar lids in the bottom to keep the bread pan off the bottom of the crock pot.

Put the dough in a greased bread pan.  You do not have to let it rise and punch it down first.  This went from the mixer to the bread pan.


Here it is in the crock pot.  Make sure it is centered.  If one edge of the pan is closer to the crock pot edge that spot will cook faster.


Next I put the lid on the crock pot and turned it on high.

Here it is 1 hour and 5 minutes later.

I turned the flash off of the camera and that helps with the picture.  This is 1 hour and 3 minutes after the last picture and the bread has fallen some.

Another hour and 20 minutes later and it looks done.

Here it is 3 hours and 25 minutes after it went into the cold crock pot.  I didn't plan on leaving it cooking that long.

I sprayed the pan with olive oil instead of Pam like I usually do and this is what the pan looked like when I finally got the bread out.

Here is the bread with the messed up bottom.
It tastes good, but the bottom crust breaks off when slicing it and it is a little on the dry side.


New white bread making try 7-2-14

I mixed the bread dough in my Kitchen Aid mixer again and put it into the bread pan right away.
This time I decide to put it in a white bread pan in hopes that it would be easier to see in the crock pot. I also spray the bread pan with Pam this time.

I also turned the crock pot on high when I started mixing the bread, so that it would be warm and maybe the bread wouldn't fall this time. It is centered and sitting on the canning rings also.

It is rising fast this time.  This is 20 minutes after I put it in the crock pot.


After just 10 more minutes is has raised a lot more.

Another 25 minutes later and it has fallen some.

1 hour and 30 minutes after the last picture and it looks almost done.

 Here it is after 2 hours and 45 minutes from the time it went into the crock pot.  It fell even more.

This side is a little darker than the other side.

Here is the other side.  We haven't cut into it yet, but I will let you know tomorrow how it holds up.
This loaf came out of the crock pot 40 minutes sooner than the previous loaf.











No comments:

Post a Comment